Our approach to new investments is based on our long experience of building companies. In addition to the common criteria above, and a detailed checklist of financial and business issues, we consider the following factors:
- We look for companies that can perform to the highest standards
- We expect our companies to act in a responsible way
- We look for companies that have competitive advantage
- We value companies that have growth potential and seek renewal and change
- We invest where we can bring value
- We look for cultural alignment and a governance framework that enables us to provide support and challenge
To help our companies grow, we pay particular attention to the directors whom we appoint to our companies’ boards, looking for “critical friends” who can support and challenge our CEOs and their leadership teams.